On August 12th, it will be World Elephant Day. There is nothing more awe-inspiring than getting to observe these majestic animals in their natural habitat, but it is so important to do so responsibly.
If you'd like to experience this yourself – in the company of experts who will ensure your encounter is safe not only for you as a guest, but for the elephants too – we have two tours on offer...
Our Sri Lanka | Shrines & Serendipity tour and our adventure to South India both offer personal encounters with elephants. Experts will be on hand during both tours to ensure you get the most out of your experience, and that it is completely respectful of the animals at all times. It is so important to protect our world's wildlife, especially in an era where climate change and commercialism is impacting their natural habitats. To find out how you can help, click here.
Alice Beavon, a Graphic Designer for Archaeological Tours, recently experienced a game drive for herself during her travels. She has shared a selection of her personal photographs with us, which you can see below, and has revealed that nothing can really describe witnessing elephants in the wild:
"Seeing wild elephants in their own natural environment was the most amazing experience, and one that I will never forget – it actually brought a tear to my eye! It is something that should be on everyone's bucket list."
- Share the road with the local elephants as we make our way along Sri Lanka’s highways
- Visit Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage for lunch in a restaurant that overlooks the elephants’ favorite bathing hole
- The chance to attend the Navam Perahera Festival at Gangaramaya Temple, where elephants are traditionally and elaborately adorned
- Discover no less than six UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Witness an enchanting evening ‘puja’ ceremony at Kandy’s world-renowned Temple of the Tooth
Click here for the full itinerary or to book your place now
- Spend an afternoon at Periyar Game Reserve, a superb spot for viewing elephants up close
- Tour Mumbai’s bustling bazaars
- Go behind-the-scenes at a thrilling Kathakali dance performance
- Stand before the world’s largest monolithic statue at Sravanabelagola
- View the famous rock-cut shrines and shore temples of Mamallapuram
Click here for the full itinerary or to book your place now!