Visit Ethiopia. A truly magical destination and one that is often misunderstood, it has everything from time-honored traditions and amazing wildlife, to beautiful landscapes and striking rock-cut churches that boast intricate carvings. An Archaeological Tours experience in Ethiopia will allow you to follow the full arc of the country’s history, from Paleolithic settlements via Medieval churches, right through to recent Colonial clashes. Wonders of the natural world – such as the Simien Mountains National Park – combine with ancient labyrinthine tunnels and artifacts housed in cultural centers to offer the intrepid traveler an authentic, surprising and memorable vacation.
Country Information - Ethiopia
- Currency - The currency of Ethiopia is the Ethiopian birr
- How to Dress - Ethiopia is less conservative than some of its African neighbors. Summers can get very hot and the wet summer season can have very high levels of rainfall so be sure to pack a raincoat between June to August
- Cultural Differences - Ethiopia is a multi-cultural country. About 50% of the population belong to the Ethiopian Orthodox Church but there is also a large Muslim population. Family and extended family are very important in Ethiopia and often family needs are put before those of an individual
- Language - Ethiopia has over 80 indigenous languages. The official language is Amharic although less than 30% of the population speak it
- Tipping - Tipping is not customary in Ethiopia but it is commonplace to add a tip for good service. Archaeological Tours will take care of gratuities to restaurant staff, local guides and drivers