Kazakhstan is a transcontinental country largely located in Asia whilst the most western parts are in Europe. The territory of Kazakhstan has historically been inhabited by nomadic groups and empires. In antiquity, the lands were inhabited by nomadic Scythians and the Persian Achaemenid Empire expanded towards the southern territory of the country in modern times. In the 13th century, the territory joined the Mongolian Empire under Genghis Khan. By the 16th century, the Kazakh emerged as a distinct group, divided into three jüz (ancestor branches occupying specific territories). Kazkhstan is revered for its stunning natural beauty and sweeping landscapes, such as the alpine reservoir that is Big Almaty Lake, where the water’s color reflects the sky and appears to change depending on the season. Unearth Bronze Age petroglyphs in remote locations.
April 17 2020
with Professor Craig Benjamin
Country Overview - Kazakhstan
- Currency - The currency of Kazakhstani tenge
- How to Dress - Western dress is acceptable in Kazakhstan
- Cultural Differences - There are more than 100 ethnic groups in Kazakhstan, the biggest groups being Kazakhs and Russians. Others include Ukrainians, Germans, Koreans, Tatars, and Chechens. During Soviet times, the Communist Party tried to create a new Soviet person with a Soviet culture and ideology. They succeeded a lot on this road but not completely; the result being a creation of a more or less homogenic society with both Russian (since Russian was a dominant culture) customs and traditions and Kazakh (oriental) traditions. Offensive topics for Kazakstanies would be asking about one’s ethnicity. It is almost never a good idea for any culture and it is very true for Kazakhstan because the people of Kazakhstan were brought up (especially during the Soviet times) as a united nation and united people based on the ideas of internationalism. Kazakhstanies have a good sense of humour and enjoy cracking jokes and telling anecdotes.
- Language - Russian and Kazak are the languages of Kazakhstan
- Tipping - Tipping is not acceptable as a service charge is included.