Visit Sri Lanka and experience phenomenal nature and fascinating history side-by-side. Home to many UNESCO-listed sites, this modestly-sized island packs a punch. Pay a visit to Kandy’s Temple of the Tooth and experience a magical puja ceremony, gaze upon the great Avukana Buddha – Sri Lanka’s tallest at over 40 feet high – and tour ancient Buddhist cave temples built on a 673-foot high rock. In addition to its many archaeological, religious and historic sites, Sri Lanka offers the curious traveler a range of cultural encounters unlike any other. Share the road with wild elephants as you travel between towns, take in a local festival or enjoy a performance of the traditional masked Kolam dance.
Country Information - Sri Lanka
- Currency - The currency of Sri Lanka is the Sri Lankan rupee
- How to Dress - Sri Lanka is a fairly conservative country. A general rule is to ensure you cover your shoulders and your knees. You may need to take your shoes off in some religious areas. It can get very hot in the summer months
- Cultural Differences - Buddhism and Hinduism are the most prominent religions in Sri Lanka. Hierarchy and Honor are extremely important in Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka was known as Ceylon until 1972
- Language - The major languages of Sri Lanka Sinhala and Tamil
- Tipping - Tipping is not customary in Sri Lanka but is appreciated. Archaeological Tours will take care of gratuities to restaurant staff, local guides and drivers