From Moscow to St. Petersburg, embark upon an epic journey across Russia. From Moscow’s majestic domes to the magnificence of the World Heritage Site of Yaroslavl, experience the picturesque landscapes and world-class museums of Russia’s Golden Ring — a famous travel route in western Russia.
Russian palaces and kremlins are home to some of the world’s most stunning and detailed architecture, and some of its darkest history. Since the Christianization of Kievan Rus' for several ages Russian architecture was influenced predominantly by the Byzantine architecture. Apart from fortifications (kremlins), the main stone buildings of ancient Rus' were Orthodox churches with their many domes, often gilded or brightly painted.
Aristotle Fioravanti and other Italian architects brought Renaissance trends into Russia since the late 15th century, while the 16th century saw the development of unique tent-like churches culminating in Saint Basil's Cathedral. By that time the onion dome design was also fully developed. In the 17th century, the "fiery style" of ornamentation flourished in Moscow and Yaroslavl, gradually paving the way for the Naryshkin baroque of the 1690s. After the reforms of Peter the Great the change of architectural styles in Russia generally followed that in the Western Europe.
The 18th-century taste for rococo architecture led to the ornate works of Bartolomeo Rastrelli and his followers. The reigns of Catherine the Great and her grandson Alexander I saw the flourishing of Neoclassical architecture, most notably in the capital city of Saint Petersburg. The second half of the 19th century was dominated by the Neo-Byzantine and Russian Revival styles.
Country Information - Russia
- Currency - The currency of Russia is the Russian Ruble
- How to Dress - Western dress is acceptable. Russia is fairly conservative, and if you choose to wear bright colors – particularly in the winter months – you will stand out. Pack some comfortable walking shoes. Some museums and churches might refuse admission if shoulders and knees are uncovered. It would also be advised to avoid cutoffs jeans and tank tops. Women should wear a scarf to cover and men would not be allowed to enter in shorts.
- Cultural Differences - Russian culture has a long and rich cultural history, steeped in literature, ballet, painting and classical music. While outsiders may see the country as drab, Russia has a very visual cultural past, from its colorful folk costumes to its ornate religious symbols. Russian culture places a high value on the homeland and on family. The Russians are great storytellers. Russia has a rich tradition of folk tales that derive from a number of Slavic myths and traditions, according to de Rossi. Russian folk characters are very colorful, and they also betray ancient pagan roots. Russian people are passionate and tactile – they like to be close when communicating. But then can be reserved and withdrawn in public spaces.
- Language - The languages of Russia is Russian
- Tipping - It is commonplace to add a tip for good service. Up to 10% -15% is acceptable. Archaeological Tours will take care of gratuities to restaurant staff, local guides and drivers.