Central Mexico: Mesoamerican Mysteries
You don’t always have to cross oceans and continents to discover the world’s finest archaeological sites. Journey through the lands of the ancient indigenous civilizations of Mesoamerica as we cross frontiers of time into lost pre-Columbian worlds, whose dramatic histories and great monuments can fuel the imagination and open doors to new worlds.
The Aztec Empire, along with the preceding Toltec and Olmec cultures, is at the heart of this tour and the formidable legacy that they have left behind will be sure to impress archaeology lovers. The mighty Aztecs dominated the region for 200 years with their vivid culture and their highly organized society until the Spanish Conquistadors arrived in the 16th century and brought the Empire to a sudden and brutal end. We will also visit a panorama of provincial towns further south in Oaxaca, each built upon regional cultural traditions with ancient pre-Aztec roots — none more impressive than the vast Zapotec site of Monte Albán.
- Expert scholar & tour manager
- Local transport & private transfer to/from airport and group hotel
- Entries & tips
- Meals - as per the itinerary
- Four lectures from your expert scholar
- A name badge, luggage strap and bag tag
- A study guide, reading list, and other useful tour documentation compiled by your expert scholar and your Archaeological Tours team