How to encompass in one journey the complexities of the turbulent history and spectacular cultural heritage of a sub-continent’s whose exotic traditions, architecture and art all have an immensity of appeal that could justify a lifetime’s exploration?
Impossible, of course – but by its structured focus on the ancient cultures and divisions of northern India’s tumultuous past our tour will build for you a clear picture of the infinitely diverse strands that have shaped the exotic fabric of this vast country. Carefully planned visits to many world-famous sites, monuments and leading museums bring a comprehensive understanding of the intricate cultural synthesis that has evolved between the country’s primary religious civilizations – Jain, Buddhist, Hindu and Muslim.
Highlights of this India tour include traveling from Delhi through Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Agra and Rajasthan’s ‘Land of Kings’ include Sanchi’s fabulous stupa, the monastic excavations at Sarnath and the elaborately carved temples at Ranakpur – all illustrating the vigor of Buddhist and Jain offshoots from early Hinduism. Fascinating facets of later Hindu civilization are on display amid Khajuraho’s elaborate temples, the teeming pilgrimage center at Varanasi and, most beautiful of all, the Rajput’s fortified palaces of Udaipur, Jodhpur and Jaipur, in striking counterpoint to Agra’s legendary Mughal masterpiece, the Taj Mahal.
- Expert scholar & tour manager
- Local transport & private transfer to/from airport and group hotel
- Entries & tips
- Flights (excluding airfare from the US)
- Meals - as per the itinerary
- Four lectures from your expert scholar
- A name badge, luggage strap and bag tag
- A study guide, reading list, and other useful tour documentation compiled by your expert scholar and your Archaeological Tours team