Visit Ireland’s serene and welcoming rural landscapes, fringed by one the most beautiful of Europe’s coastlines. Our trips to Ireland are peppered with a plethora of prehistoric and historical sites, elegant country houses and unique cultural monuments. They all fuse into a remarkably fertile and much excavated 5,000-years-old hunting-ground for the archaeologically-minded traveler looking to acquire insights into an ancient civilization of a distinctly ‘different’ kind.
Although evidence exists of earlier influences from afar (such as megalithic passage-graves that may have originated in Brittany, Portugal or Spain), until invasion and settlement by seafaring Vikings in the 9th century Ireland’s relative remoteness had largely sheltered its societies from the ceaseless turmoil previously afflicting the rest of Europe.
A major surviving legacy imprint from the long pre-Viking era is that of the Iron Age Celts, whose tradition began a thousand years earlier in central Europe and whose ancient language is still preserved here. Ireland’s other dominant cultural legacy is owed to the arrival of St Patrick and other Christian missionaries in the early 5th century – when the old indigenous pagan practices were suffused into the new religion and the rich culture of Celtic monasticism and scholarship began to blossom.
- Expert Scholar & Tour Manager
- Local Transport & private transfer to/from airport and group hotel
- Entries & Tips
- Meals - as per the itinerary
- Four enlightening evening lectures from your expert scholar
- A name badge, luggage strap and bag tag
- A study guide, reading list, and other useful tour documentation compiled by your expert scholar and your Archaeological Tours team