Though near-neighbors this trio of sunlit central Mediterranean islands off the Italian coast are as chalk to cheese when it comes to their contrasting history, heritage and dramatic landscapes. All three share inter-connections and influences originating with the early peoples of the Aegean – yet today each has developed its own colorful and distinctive culture.
Why and how these contrasts evolved is the rich thread linking this interest-filled odyssey. Its investigative approach will reward you with a knowledge of the ancient civilizations that conquered these islands in turn – a story stretching from the seafaring Sherden and Phoenicians to Greeks, Romans, Byzantines, Crusader knights and Turks and to latter-day colonization by the Spanish, Italians, French and British. You will also gain an enhanced understanding of the ways in which the occupiers left their own indelible legacy upon the great landmarks of the islands and their differing modern-day cultures.
Among the tour’s memorable archaeological locations visited will be Malta’s prehistoric megalithic temples at Ggantija (a UNESCO World Heritage site, dating from 3600 BCE); examples of the unique 7,000 tower-fortress nuraghes of Sardinia (mere youngsters from the second millennium BCE); and Corsica’s megalithic sites of Fontanaccia, Stantari and Renaghju, the island’s best-preserved dolmen.
- Expert Scholar & Tour Manager
- Local Transport & private transfer to/from airport and group hotel
- Entries & Tips
- Regional Flights
- Meals - as per the itinerary
- Four enlightening evening lectures from your expert scholar
- A name badge, luggage strap and bag tag
- A study guide, reading list, and other useful tour documentation compiled by your expert scholar and your Archaeological Tours team